Doug Out Meyers (a.k.a. Doug)
In short, this is the best way we can describe the greatest dog we know. Dug routinely meets us high up on multi-pitch routes at belay ledges – places we have no idea how he gets to. He has fallen off the backside of Lizard Head and lived to tell the tale, launched past us sitting on the edge of a 50 foot cliff (in this case we caught him before his cape unfurled and he flew away), and he will take on other dogs of any size or disposition. He is fearless in the way we only wish we could be.
Dug traverses the country with a sense of entitlement only he deserves. Look for him this summer in the New River Gorge, chilling in Canada, and domineering his local haunts all over Colorado and Utah.
Date of Birth: March 20, 1999
Hometown: Athens, OH. Now Golden, CO.
- Surviving my epic forced overnight open bivy on Lizard Head Mountain (13,113 ft.)
- Multiple unrepeated (and unpublished) FDA’s (first dog ascents) including:
- Third tier of Goat Rock; Empire, CO
- First pitch of People’s Choice; Clear Creak Canyon, CO
- Second pitch of unknown 5.10+; Eleven mile Canyon, CO
- Suspending 86.3% of my poop on various vegetation and rocks across North America
- Being compared to Biscuit on multiple occasions, and winning
- Keeping my youthful appearance after 12 years
Sponsors: CAMP, Nature’s Recipe Dog Food & Mighty Dog (just the soft food), Table Mesa Veterinary Clinic.
Favorite CAMP Products: Harness bag (circa 1996) used to haul gear and rations (dish and above mentioned dog food).
Inspirations: The bee (Frisbee that is), sticks bigger than me.
Things that make me really happy: When my pets (read owners), Dave and Ali, wear climbing pants and start to pack up my mobile transport.
Words to live by: Bark, Bark, Grrrr! Sniff it before you lick it.
- Lacerated tendon on front left finger
- Multiple puncture wounds from brawls with skunks, foxes, and jealous dogs
- Clostridium difficile and Giardia lamblia survivor
- Missing claws on four digits from excessive fetching
- Recently curing my own cancer
Pet peeves: Doggie clothes. Other dogs in my dish.
Nickname: My full name is Dug Out. You can call me Dug.
Favorite route: The fastest way down the cliff line to fetch the stick … usually just jumping over the edge.
Favorite movie: Ciffhanger. Love that bolt gun.
Favorite book: My puppy school yearbook.
Favorite music: Scar Tissue by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Makes me howl … seriously.
Favorite foods: Any human food I am not supposed to eat.
Future goals: I plan to continue my secret FA accomplishments by popping up on various pitches / summits to surprise my pets Dave and Ali.
Things I am afraid of: Nothing (except cats and vacuums).
Website: I transcend the web.