Date of Birth: November 1, 1972
Hometown: Boulder, CO or more often than not a tent under an alpine wall.
- My favorite days in the mountains have revolved around the location and partners as much as the objective.
- Led over 20 successful commercial expeditions to 8000, 7000 and 6000 meter peaks in Nepal, Tibet and Pakistan.
- Climbed new alpine, ice, rock, big wall and mixed routes around the world from Queen Maud Land, Antarctica to the Alaska Range, Alaska.
- Recipient of 2007 American Alpine Club Zach Martin Breaking Barriers Award to attempt a new route on K2’s south face and start the building of a school in Khane village for Girls Education International.
- K2 2007: 36 Hour round trip ascent from 5100m to 8000m and back, Cesen Route.
- For a complete list of proud days visit: http://fabriziozangrilli.blogspot.com
Sponsors: CAMP, SCARPA, Marmot
Favorite CAMP Products: Quartz CR3, Nano 23, Awax Ice Tool
Inspirations: Jay Smith, Jack Tackle, Valeri Babanov and Steve House because they get it done. Aljaz Anderle who taught me what strong was.
Things that make me really happy: Chips and Salsa, grilled meat and very plastic ice!
Words to live by: “At either end of the social spectrum there is a leisure class” -Eric Beck
Past injuries (from bottom to top): Torn Lateral ligaments L ankle, Broken fibula R leg, Torn ACL R knee, Torn MCL L Knee, Fractured Coccyx, Sacrum and L1-4, Fractured 7th rib below Scapula R side, Dislocated shoulder L Side, potential memory loss from too much high altitude climbing—but I can’t remember.
Pet peeves: Climbing partners who snore.
Ice: Hydrophobia, The Ghost, Canada.
Mixed: Mixed Master, Icefields Parkway, Canada.
Alpine: Infinite Apparition, Phantom Wall, Mt. Huntington.
Favorite movie: City of God
Favorite book: Any book by Cormac McCarthy, especially The Road.
Favorite music: Punk
Favorite food: Sushi
Future goals: Return to the Rupal Face, Nanga Parbat, South Face of Nuptse, and South Face of Logan to finish off projects.
Things I am afraid of: Rock fall and peak fees.